6.23.2010

A Doctor of the Mind


"And there were books, Sister! Loads and loads of them." the young boy could not help being excited at the thought of all those books.

"Can I go there often?" he pleaded.

"Maybe. If we get you a card." said Sister.

"Where can I get a card? Do I have to pay for it?" he asked.

"Maybe. We'll ask."

"Then I can go everyday? As long as I have a card?"

"Everyday? Can you do that? We live ten blocks from there. You're going to be so tired coming to and fro." Sister was worried about the boy's enthusiasm.

They said his parents were teachers. There is no doubt he's as into learning. But things changed when his mother died and his father left town. They said he was in some mental institution. Never knowing, never caring that their only son was growing.

"I can do that. I can walk that far. Or I can save the money I get from the choir and buy myself a bicycle. Like Tim's got." There was so much determination in his face.

"Why? Why do you want to do that?"

"Because I want to be a doctor, Sister. I want to be a doctor of the mind."

"Doctor . . . of the . . . mind?"

"Yes. Then I'll heal Father. They say he has a sickness of the mind. I'll find him and then I'll heal him."


Photo by: Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment